[NAFEX] Rosehip

Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov
Mon Sep 14 11:01:07 EDT 2009

"I have a rugosa hybrid called 'Wild Thing' from Oikos tree crops, which
seems to be thriving here in Raleigh.  Mine is too young to flower or
fruit yet, but the JC Raulston Arboretum has one, and it seems to be
fruiting quite well.
http://oikostreecrops.com/store/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=89&strPageHistory=cat

Let me know if you can use a cutting.

BTW, I can confirm that autumn olive grows in the forest understory
here.  I don't have much of it on my sandy loam, but my mom has tons of
it on her red clay soil, under a canopy of white oak."

Thanks Matthew! I had forgotten about the Oikos offerings. I am glad to
hear that a variety they sell is suited to the Piedmont as well.  I am
never sure ordering from a nursery from such a different growing
region....

Interesting comment about the sandy loam- I have sandy loam in a flood
plain, and red clay uplands.  Autumn olive only grows in my clay
uplands.

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC