[NAFEX] gooseberries for Tennessee???

Hal Love lovehd at comcast.net
Fri Sep 11 12:18:34 EDT 2009

Donna,

The only variety on your list that I have grown is Orus 8 (a jostaberry), which did really poorly. The small fruit mildewed severely and had a moldy flavor, and it died after 3 years. The jostaberry 'Josta' is doing well for me now, but took 4 years before it began producing. Glenndale is one of the few gooseberry varieties that is claimed to hold up to the heat and humidity in TN. I have not grown it, but I do have a seedling of it that produced a couple of fruits this year-too early to say if it will be anything worth keeping. I also have Captivator, which has really suffered during the past two extremely wet summers. It drops its fruit prematurely in hot weather.

Hal
zn 6/7 TN