[NAFEX] autumn olive Now "Invasive plants"

John S swim_at_svc at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 11 07:21:55 EDT 2009

Donna,  I'm not sure what side of the issue you are on from this post.

I do want to observe, however, that just because a plant colonizes a disturbed area, such as the field around the house you mentioned, does not make that an invasive species in my mind.  The invasion, in my mind, occurred when the owners of the property most likely farmed the property.

Likewise, a large group of plants occurring in an area does not necessarily indicate an invasive species.  Few of us would regard a stand of oaks, for example, as evidence that oaks are invasive.

John