[NAFEX] Persimmon IDs? Geneva Long

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Thu Sep 10 09:09:23 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/9/2009 11:31:20 AM Central Daylight Time,
lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu writes:

> Wondered if anyone (Jerry Lehman?) might be able to shed some light on my
> dilemma – anybody got photos of ‘known’ specimens of these two varieties?

Hi Lucky,

I know you found the answer to your question.  Thought I'd send pictures of
Geneva Long taken last year anyway for the possible benefit to other
readers. Lee Brumley and John Raymond helped with photography and may have been
their work. NC-10 isn't in my collection so have no pictures of it.

It is so easy to mix up accessions when taking multiple varieties of the
same species to the field. I've done it more than once. Another problem is
forgetting to label the graft or record it in the filed records. Then go back
an hour later and try to remember which variety was grafted. Switching
material is such a problem that the USDA Grape Repository at Davis, CA that sells
varietal material instituted a rule a few years back.  Only one variety on
the working tables at a time. They too had a problem of switching cultivars.

Jerry