[NAFEX] apple maggot attraction

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 15:22:31 EDT 2009

I never encounter apple fly maggot although they are a problem for
commercial growers not far away.  Always thought the deer might be helping
out by picking up the drops but a lot of customers have fencing these days
and (knock on wood) still no afm, even though all insecticide is usually put
away after the first week of June.  AFM usually appears in those nearby
orchards well after this.

In the literature the word as I remember it is that AFM prefers the
earliest, reddest apples at any given site.  Same ones the squirrels go far,
except squirrels will go for Honeycrisp before they feed on earlier apples.
What is it about that apple that attracts everyone and everything?