[NAFEX] Weird wild grapevine

Kieran &/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Sat Sep 5 17:35:05 EDT 2009

OK guys, I'm asking for your wide range of experience here.  Lon would be best except he's not in the East.  There are wild grapes here, muscadines with little leaves and smooth vines, and what I assume are fox grapes with bigger leaves and shreddy bark.  But I have found a new kind of grapevine where we've cut some trees out.  It has huge leaves and weird mottled hairy stems.  I've never seen this kind before.  The stems have reddish marks on them.  I suppose we might have cut the vine and it came out really big and vigorous with extra large leaves in the rain this year.  But it's still different from any wild grape I have ever seen.  Any ideas?     Donna