[NAFEX] Beurre D'Anjou pears

Kieran &/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Fri Sep 4 23:45:09 EDT 2009

Generally for any variety, when the first fruit begin falling you can start
picking.  A ripe fruit should come loose when you lift it sideways.  Of
course, it probably won't be ready to eat yet, but if it comes loose nicely
it was ready to pick.  I note that not all fruit on a tree is ripe at once.
I picked my Pineaple pears a little earlier than I would have liked because
the squirrels were into them.  Not all wanted to come loose.  2 weeks later
I noted that the pears were turning yellow on a young tree I'd grafted on
neighboring property. A slight shake and they all came tumbling down.
Probably sometime inbetween would have been the ideal time to pick the lot.
Donna