[NAFEX] offending squirrels in apricots

Steve sdw12986 at aol.com
Fri Sep 4 17:16:01 EDT 2009

Dr. Lucky Pittman wrote:
> Jay,
> I'm sure you're getting a warm, fuzzy feeling thinking that you've removed
> the 'offending' squirrels, yet not harmed them in any significant manner,
> but years of study indicates otherwise.  Wildlife biologists and various
> state departments of fish & wildlife have, for years, tried to educated
> people to the cold hard facts that relocation of wildlife - particularly
> non-threatened species, like squirrels, raccoons, deer, etc., is not a
> humane act - for the relocated animal, or for the established population
> you've now introduced the 'relocated' animal into - and it's actually
> illegal to do this in some states.
> Do a search for 'wildlife relocation', and you'll find a wealth of info.
> Here's one for starters. http://icwdm.org/wildlife/euthanasia/relocation.asp
>
> Far better to rapidly dispatch the offending squirrels, etc., than to
> 'relocate' them.
> I can provide some tasty squirrel recipes, if desired.
>
> Lucky Pittman

Just some comments, not trying to prove one point or the other.
I was reading the newspaper last evening and there was a article about
nascence bears being a bigger problem this year, compared to past years.
The local DEC's way of handling this is to live trap the bears, put a
tag in their ear and relocate them away from town. If a tagged bear gets
into trouble a 2nd time, they kill it.
Also, they like to reintroduce species here. Bringing in Lynx was an
utter failure. Bringing in turkeys and eagles was a booming success.
They wanted to try wolves but public opinion (mostly deer hunters who
didn't want the competition) made them abandon the plan. I know that
reintroduction is different from relocation because there is no
established population to blend in with.

Steve in the Adirondacks