[NAFEX] weirdly useless soil

Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov
Fri Sep 4 14:23:37 EDT 2009

One way to test if it is the herbicide causing the problem - you may
wish to try sowing grass seed.  Grass should do just fine as the
herbicide only affects broad leafed plants.

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |"Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow at frontiernet.net>                                                                                               |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |"North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>                                                                                  |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |09/04/2009 10:50 AM                                                                                                                         |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |Re: [NAFEX] weirdly useless soil                                                                                                            |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Sent by:   |
|------------>
  |nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org                                                                                                             |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Ginda,  We got some horse manure that has stunted beets and peppers, 2
plants very susceptible to this new long lasting herbicide.  Tomatoes
are
another plant that is very susceptible.
    Apart from tobacco virus, tomatoes are not much bothered by viruses.

Our tomato "virus" turned out to be boron deficiency.  But I think the
very
similar effect in the peppers is herbicide.  The herbicide being heavily

advertised around here is "Milestone" and it makes for very nice clean
hay
with no thistles or any other broadleaved weeds.  Goes through the
animals
urine into the bedding, stays active right through composting.    Donna

P.S.  I just read your reply.  Where the last of the manure was heaped
up I
have planted a few beans which look fine, but the wild violets are very
chlorotic!  My son says that what looked like latex paint in some of the

bedding was probably from a mill where they used titanium paint as an
undercoat before cutting boards to length.  He said no problem except
for
possibly running up the pH.  That would make iron less available to the
violets, but also would make boron less available to the peppers and
beets,
which were also affected.  However, adding sulfur and boron seems to
have
had no effect.