[NAFEX] Wild(?) pear question

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Fri Sep 4 11:03:46 EDT 2009

Pyrus betulafolia is one of the preferred stocks for resistance to pear
psylla.  The main problem is that most of the material in the U.S. came
from the southern part of the species' range and isn't hardy.  But
there is material from the northern part that is very hardy.  In 1990 I
sent seed of it from the Germplasm Repository to Wayne Fuhr in Canada.
He reported that young trees took -40 in November with only slight
damage at the ends of twigs.  I have had a row of seedlings of that
material for some years and I think they have real potential.
-Lon Rombough
short, low resolution clip here:
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
A video about The Grape Grower :