[NAFEX] Weeping Redbud

Kieran &/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Fri Sep 4 11:03:48 EDT 2009

Yes, the trouble with clones is that no matter how nice they are, one
becomes tired of them.  The first Bradford pear I ever saw was beautiful.
The next 10 were pretty nice.  But the next 100 began to irritate me.  Too
much perfection, too bland, like living room furniture instead of living
plants.  Now Bradfords look like sore spots on the landscape to me.  I just
could never take anyone seriously if I knew they planted one.
    Clones are so much alike that after seeing a zillion Kieffer trees, one
glance at other pear varieties is enough to tell me I'm looking at something
different.  There, I brought that back to fruit trees very nicely didn't I?
Hey Jim, that reminds me.  That pear rootstock probably has nice long
leaves, bigger than a normal pear leaf, eh?  Same for this sour round thing
I found, only what I found is probably pyrifolia.  The pure Aisans have big
long weird leaves.  The Henderson I got from Chris Inhulsen looks like it
will be very pretty.  I've only seen his in winter.  Donna