[NAFEX] Wild(?) pear question

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Fri Sep 4 10:58:40 EDT 2009

Have you tried setting some of the fruit in a cool place to "blet" like
a medlar?  I'm finding that a number of hard, astringent pears will
after-ripen very nicely that way, becoming soft and smooth inside.  Had
some calleryana pears that had bletted and they were quite pleasant, if
very small.  Skin stays rather astringent, but you can squeeze the pulp
out of the skin.
-Lon Rombough
short, low resolution clip here:
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
A video about The Grape Grower :