[NAFEX] Wild(?) pear question

Kieran &/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Fri Sep 4 10:49:56 EDT 2009

No, the one thing I read every time about calleryana is that it's NOT hardy as a rootstock.  That leaves P. ussuriensis as the most likely candidate.  Okolo is a  ussuriensis offspring that may be hardy enough for you, from Dr. Hansen's work I think.  I didn't get good takes from my grafts of that one, but if you'll look at the Corvallis site, they have a list of hardy pears.  You'll want only the very hardiest.  You can call for nominations right here.  Donna