[NAFEX] Fruit day U of Idaho Parma

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Fri Sep 4 01:34:43 EDT 2009

Alborz is a sport of the commercial variety Flame Seedless.  It's a bit
earlier and colors better.
Ralli is a sport of a Sunworld variety.  Don't let them catch you with
it.   They are even using DNA testing to prosecute unlicensed growers
of their varieties, and Ralli is covered by the contracts they use.
NY 47616  ("Shelly") is one Cornell withdrew from testing because as
the name suggests, it shells off the clusters very badly.  Tastes
great, but some years you can shake it off the vine with a stiff
breeze.  NY 65.479.1 was a blue seedless,  one of Cornell's old
selections they never released.  Too cold tender, among other things.
The seedless muscat NY 65.483.2 has good muscat flavor, but the berries
are too small and the clusters are so compact that any attempt to
increase the berry size leads to cracking and splitting of the fruit.
Rombough Seedless was released more or less by accident, but I don't
mind as the patent fees would have been more than it might earn anyway.

-Lon Rombough
short, low resolution clip here:
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
A video about The Grape Grower :