[NAFEX] Wild(?) pear question

Hélène Dessureault interverbis at videotron.ca
Thu Sep 3 15:08:14 EDT 2009

I have a pyrus ussuriensis that bears those hard round pears. They are hard
and mouth puckering. However, these pears make the most delightful pear
jelly... I used 2 cups sugar to 1 cup pear cooked mash dripped in a cheese
clothes. This jelly is a bit sweet for my taste, as I usually prefer the
proportion 1 to 1 but I am sure you could do a 1 to 1 proportion if you were
to add commercial fruit pectine. I will do this next year....
Collect them when the pips are not completely brown that is when the pectin
content is higher.

Hélène, north of Ottawa.