[NAFEX] weirdly useless soil

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Wed Sep 2 10:08:58 EDT 2009

I wrote to them this morning and told them about the problem, speculating about herbicide.  It seems extremely unlikely to be a disease problem unless, as you say, it's specifically a soil-born disease of basil that the soil came pre-contaminated with.  I'll report back when I get their response.

-- GindaRoad's End Farm wrote:

On the other hand, maybe, in all innocence, they used hay or straw in

their mix that they didn't know was contaminated with long-lasting

herbicide. Or, if it includes ocean products, maybe there was a spill

in the area these were harvested from that they didn't know about; in

which case it could be almost anything.

I would really hesitate to spread it anywhere until you know what is

wrong. Can you just set the pot aside somewhere and contact the

company? If it's a good company, they would probably appreciate

hearing about problems. You could also try googling their name to see

if any other complaints or relevant news stories turn up.

You could also try growing other things in the pot to see what will

and will not grow -- it's unlikely that a lot of different crops would

all have virus problems, though some people have had trouble with

basil as well as with tomatoes this year (it's a different disease,

but there is disease going around through both crops; though fungal,

not bacterial.) It also seems unlikely to me, if it's a disease

problem, that the diseases wouldn't have spread to the plants in your

other pots; though I suppose it could be something only that only

travels through the soil.

<smaller>--Rivka

Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly</smaller>