[NAFEX] weirdly useless soil

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Wed Sep 2 08:47:19 EDT 2009

On the other hand, maybe, in all innocence, they used hay or straw in
their mix that they didn't know was contaminated with long-lasting
herbicide. Or, if it includes ocean products, maybe there was a spill
in the area these were harvested from that they didn't know about; in
which case it could be almost anything.

I would really hesitate to spread it anywhere until you know what is
wrong. Can you just set the pot aside somewhere and contact the
company? If it's a good company, they would probably appreciate hearing
about problems. You could also try googling their name to see if any
other complaints or relevant news stories turn up.

You could also try growing other things in the pot to see what will and
will not grow -- it's unlikely that a lot of different crops would all
have virus problems, though some people have had trouble with basil as
well as with tomatoes this year (it's a different disease, but there is
disease going around through both crops; though fungal, not bacterial.)
It also seems unlikely to me, if it's a disease problem, that the
diseases wouldn't have spread to the plants in your other pots; though
I suppose it could be something only that only travels through the
soil.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly