[NAFEX] Sudden Apricot Death Syndrome?

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Wed Sep 2 00:21:55 EDT 2009

I planted an apricot tree a few years ago.  It's looked healthy until
a couple of weeks ago, when quite suddenly the leaves all wilted and
turned brown.  It is now covered with dead leaves.  (Not dropping
yellow leaves, as the healthy tree did in the fall.)  Any ideas what
happened to it?

I saw a little bit of gum on the bark, but nothing that looked
terrible.  I did not see any other damage. We had a very cool wet
summer until shortly before it died, when suddenly the weather turned
hot and dry.  But the apricot started to look dead before the
raspberries looked even a little wilted.  (They are within a few feet
of each other, on similar soil.)  It had a decent crop this year, but
I thinned it pretty heavily, and I don't think the crop should have
stressed the tree.

I suppose I'll leave it in the ground until next spring - weirder
miracles have happened than it coming back into leaf.  But it
certainly looks dead.  I'm debating buying another and replanting in
the same spot.  Any reason not to?

Thanks.
Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6