[NAFEX] Illinois Everbearing mulberry

Hector Black hblack1925 at fastmail.fm
Tue Sep 1 12:29:32 EDT 2009

Hey Mike - We're great lovers of the Ill. Everbearing.  They are hard to
root, hence grafting seems best.  We use white or Asian mulberry as
rootstock.  My daughter has them at Hidden Springs Nursery (go online for
catalog).
    We have had them for near 30 years and notice that the branches break
easily.  Storms and deer browsing.  Pollarding was suggested on the list
some months back, and that sounds a good idea to me.  The berries are larger
on strong young growth.  I would think letting a small frame develop after
about 4 ft height, and pruning branches off after about 3-4 years of bearing
might work - but I have never done this.  I've tried but the deer break off
the lower branches chewing the leaves.  Keep the trees low for easier
picking.  Birds love them, by the way - the fruit that is.
     Makes a fine wine - it you are interested.  Happy growing.    Hector
Black (zone 6 Middle TN)