[NAFEX] your favorite nurseries

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Tue Sep 1 00:12:08 EDT 2009

NAFEX may not want to get into explicitly endorsing or unendorsing
nurseries.  It's probably worth checking the archives since this topic
has come up before, but here are some nurseries I've done business
with recently and my experience:

St. Lawrence Nurseries:  specialize in cold-weather stuff.  Huge
selection of apples on near-standard rootstock.  I've also bought half-
high blueberries, ribes, and a shrub cherry from them.  They always
send nice sized plants that are very well packed.  (sometimes huge
plants, presumably if they haven't sold as much as they hoped of that
plant in the last few years.)

Cummins Nursery:  I think this is run by the son of the guy who did a
lot of the apple breeding work for Cornell.  Large selection of both
apple cultivars and rootstocks, and a source for retail quantities of
rootstock, especially the Cornell series or rootstocks.  They have
some other stuff, too.

Fedco:  huge selection, nice people, can only order by fax/mail.  (not
e-mail, phone, or web.)

Nourse:  Specialize in berries, and have a nice selection of ribes, as
well as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and some other stuff.
I like their catalog because they will tell you "this one doesn't
taste as good as the others, that one is more susceptible to the XYZ
disease."

Oikos Tree Crops:  some hard-to-find trees.  People are nice, but
plants are small.

The Strawberry Store (frais de bois):  I had mixed luck with this
vendor, but I've never seen another to have such a large selection of
alpine strawberries.  I ordered three varieties.  They were small, and
one set (of 6) was heavily infested with aphids.  I gather they depend
on naturally occurring predators to keep the aphids in check, and
that's not always reliable.  Still, interesting enough selection that
I'd buy form them again.

Also, Dave's Garden Watchdog is a great on-line resource for checking
up on mail-order places.  It's worth reading the comments, because you
might find that a place is good for bulbs but lousy for green plants,
for example.

Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6