[NAFEX] Russian olives

jelie at new.rr.com jelie at new.rr.com
Sat Oct 31 21:00:07 EDT 2009

Hey Lee,

Sure, no problem with sending some seeds your way.  Just send your address to me outside of the listserv and I will get them in the mail.

I have to admit that I got the idea to order some igde/senjed fruit from the Plants for a Future website.  There was some discussion on whether they were actually elaeagnus or some other fruit so I decided I would check it out for myself.  I found they were in fact elaeagnus and knew I would plant out a few.  The soaking regimen was roughly that recommended for apple pippins by Phil Forsline of the USDA.  I soaked the seeds for about 4-6 days (sorry, wasn't keeping records) while repeating water changes.  I then placed them in with a damp paper towel in a plastic bag and monitored.  I periodically disinfected them with a 1:10 bleach solution as needed.  At around 3 months I started planting them out but had no germination in the refrigerator up to that time.  A few that remained were germinating in the refrigerator at around four months.  I transplanted the rest of the seeds outdoors and have had good success with the seedlings coming up with no noticeable signs of disease or pests so far.

My Trebizond Dates from One Green World seem to be holding their own so far.  I transplanted all of them into larger containers after dividing some of the trunk sections.  They seem to have had a decent year.

Enjoyed your Uncommon Fruits

Jim Elie
Green Bay WI
zone 4/5