[NAFEX] tree gooseberries (and grafting)

Lee Reich lreich at hvc.rr.com
Fri Oct 30 14:59:24 EDT 2009

Hi Jim,

Any chance that I could get a half-dozen or so seeds of igde from you
for planting? Years ago I got some from the USDA but they never
germinated.

In my book about uncommon fruits, I wrote that the seeds did not
germinate readily, often waiting until the second season unless they
were nicked, soaked in acid, kept warm and moist for a few weeks,
cracked out of their seed coats, or washed for 6 days to leach out
inhibitors. Sounds like you found none of this to be true. (Maybe I
read my own book too closely about how hard the seeds are to germinate!)

If your seedlings are growing well, you're probably home free.
Whenever I've put in plants of King Red, they've always collapsed
before the end of their first season, something Hector Black, in
Tennessee, also noted.

Lee
Lee Reich, PhD
http://www.leereich.com/