[NAFEX] Electrolized water wash

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Wed Oct 28 10:07:21 EDT 2009

    I've been reading about a relatively new method of washing fruit and
produce that, according to the USDA, is approved for killing E. coli,
Salmonella, Campylobacter and Listeria.  The produce is washed in
electrolyzed water that is used in greenhouses and nurseries to prevent
diseases and the spread of fungi as well as extending the shelf life of cut
flowers and ornamental plants and for washing hands.
    Electrolyzed water is a .1 solution of sodium chloride that has been
subjected to a low voltage electric current.  It is claimed to be more
effective at killing bacteria on foods than bleach or heat treatments.  In
Japan, it is being used to sterilize medical equipment at to treat wounds.
    The low voltage current passes through the solution of salt and tap
water separating the sodium chloride into two solutions,  Sodium hydroxide
(NaOH) and Hypochlorus Acid (HOCl).
    I plan to start using it to wash my apples prior to being pressed for
cider.
    Are any of the rest of you using it?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm