[NAFEX] pine needle mulch

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 17:17:09 EDT 2009

Jim wrote, "As a retired chemist, I appreciate your experiments and respect
your results.
But as a gardener, I have observed that "acid-loving plants", such as holly,
azalea, and blueberry all thrive well when mulched with pine needles..."

Well, I have also noticed that they all thrive under a hardwood mulch as do
most other woody perennials.  If you're interested in theorizing what it is
about pine needles that make them a superior mulch to something else you
better try some experiments using both.

Blueberries suffer from drought, holly and azalea suffer from winter
dehydration so I would assume most any mulch would be helpful.  I would put
my money on wood over needles, though, because rottting wood holds much more
water than pine needles and also encourages more earthworms.