[NAFEX] Airlayering Jujube

Lee Reich lreich at hvc.rr.com
Mon Oct 26 08:09:11 EDT 2009

In researching the literature on jujube for my book Uncommon Fruits
for Every Garden, I didn't come across air-layering as a method for
propagating this plant. One problem with air-layering any plant in
cold climates is that air-layering usually takes many months, yet
developing roots on an air layer could not survive ambient outdoor
temperatures, to which they would be exposed up in the branches. Here
is what I did write about clonal propagation of jujube in the jujube
chapter of my book:

             Suckers, root cuttings, and grafts are ways to propagate
superior jujube clones. A clone to be propagated by suckers or root
cuttings must be on its own roots, that is, it should not be a grafted
tree. Success with root cuttings is variable, depending on the clone,
and plants grown from root cuttings will not develop the taproot of
trees grown from seed. Stem cuttings root with difficulty.

             Grafted plants grow vigorously. Chip budding, T-budding,
and whip-and-tongue grafting have all been successful---as long as
scionwood is not chosen of stems destined to be deciduous. Jujube
plants are precocious. Grafted trees have even been known to bear some
fruit in the same season in which they were grafted!

Lee Reich, PhD

http://www.leereich.com/

Books by Lee Reich:
A Northeast Gardener's Year