[NAFEX] pine needles

Lee Reich lreich at hvc.rr.com
Mon Oct 26 07:37:28 EDT 2009

Most organic materials temporarily lower the soil pH as they
decompose, and then the pH rises to its previous level. High levels of
humus, derived from organic materials, do allow plants to tolerate a
wider range of apparent pH, though.

Those chips and needles are excellent mulch for blueberries but should
not be relied on to lower the pH. Use pelletized sulfur. This material
is merely elemental sulfur pressed into pellets so that it is easier
and less dusty to apply. As a rough guide,  use three-quarters of a
pound per hundred square feet in sandy soils, or two pounds per
hundred square feet in loams, for each pH unit that the soil is
initially above a pH of 4.5.

Lee Reich, PhD
http://www.leereich.com/

Books by Lee Reich: