[NAFEX] Lapins Cherry

Sarah Kehler Ewing skkewing at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 25 13:58:13 EDT 2009

Life has quietened down so I am catching up on my reading: sorry so late!

Dr. Evans (the man who popularized the Evan's Cherry) grafts Evan's cherries to Pin cherries all the time and the reason is this: mice will not eat pin cherry bark due to the cyanide it contains whereas they love Evan's cherry bark.  It is one cheap solution to mice girdling trees over the winter and I've seen his trees that have a 4" caliper size still doing well with no compatibility issues.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB