[NAFEX] Removing seeds & skin from fruits

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Sat Oct 24 23:37:49 EDT 2009

In a message dated 10/24/2009 8:27:05 AM Central Daylight Time,
jimfruth at charter.net writes:

>   He must know something that I don't because, it has been my experience
> with the Villaware Food Strainer that the finer it is the more likely it
> is
> to plug up.  I get it plugged up most often when I try to run a batch
> through for a second time.

Hi Jim,

There are differences with between brands, but not much. Once when I called
Squezzo who have a metal scroll they said they didn't want their users to
use it for pulping persimmons. Yep, that's what they said.  The difference in
our experiences Jim is I've cut

two turns off the end of the scroll as pictured.  Additionally I can run
the seeds from the first press through the second time and get more pulp. It
is darker in color, but sugar measurements of the second run are almost equal
to the first.  Yes, it occasionally plugs but one reverse turn usually
clears it.

There is a problem with long term use. The screen is spot welded to the
mounting ring. With the larger seeds there is flexing or movement of the screen
while the ring is firmly clamped to the mount. With much use the spot welds
break then a new screen must be ordered. I no longer use mine in favor of
the cone colander. When all is considered it is as fast for small batches and
less seed coat in the pulp because the seeds aren't rubbed against the
screen.

I've experimented with a new method. I have a stainless steel hand cranked
honey extractor. I've lined the center drum that spins with 1/8 inch
hardware cloth. The fruit is mashed well, then poured into the center drum and the
pulp is spun out. One problem is if it is spun too fast at first, the fruit
mash can come out the top. But a lip would take care of that. This looks so
promising that my next step will be purchase a small top loading washing
machine, one where the drum can be lifted out for cleaning. Then modify the
outer drum exit port such that pulp flows out the bottom.  I believe spinning
out the pulp would be more efficient Would need to also modify the controls
such that the speed could be controlled manually.  The center drums on
washing machines have a top lip that would not let the mash out the top.

When I told a commercial grower in Illinois about it he said he had been
thinking also of using a washing machine to spin out pulp. That grower
produces several hundred pounds of pulp every fall.

Jerry