[NAFEX] Asian Persimmon seedlings

Robert Bruns r.fred.bruns at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 15:55:54 EDT 2009

The only Asian persimmon that has survived here (zone 5b) is Yamagaki.  It
survived for 8 years at my old house but died when I tried to transplant it
to the new house.  I just bought the last plant from Edible Landscaping
(they discontinued the variety).  I noticed that its leaves have already
turned yellow and dropped, while another kaki that I bought at the same time
still has green leaves.

Yamagaki is a male that puts out a few female flowers.  The fruit quality is
supposed to be good.  The name means "mountain persimmon", so maybe it is
adapted to colder conditions.  The plant was big (5 gallon container), so I
could probably provide a small amount of scionwood.

Fred
Central Indiana
Zone 5b