[NAFEX] crab apples in applesauce

Claude Jolicoeur cjoli at gmc.ulaval.ca
Wed Oct 21 20:04:58 EDT 2009

I do a fantastic spread with Dolgo crabs.
It is somewhere between a sauce, a gelly and a butter - it doesn't really
have a name but it is truely delicious...

To 2 lbs of whole Dolgo crabs, add 1 lb of sugar and 1/2 cup of water,
bring to a boil and let simmer open for about 2 hours (do check once in a
while and stir). This concentrates everything and the mixture should then
have reduced, but the crabapples should still be sort of whole. At his
point, you need to separate the skins and pippins - I now have a beautiful
gadget, I put the mixture in, turn the handle and hurrah! Before that, I
used a strainer with a wood spoon and worked the mixture through the
strainer - it worked fine but took more time and energy... You can then put
the fruit of your labour in pots that will easily keep a year in the
refrigerator.

The flavour is simply undescriptible... On morning toasts, it is
unbeatable. Even better than great maple sirup!

Claude