[NAFEX] Can I process and eat sprouted acorns?

Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov
Tue Oct 20 13:03:48 EDT 2009

Donna,

I suspect that you are correct. This morning I found my acorns stored in
the open in the warm house are stating to sprout as well. Yet the acorns
unharvested on the ground from the same tree are unsprouted.

I will just have to be faster in my gathering to processing timeline....

P. S.  Betsy,  I don't think that white oak acrons really CAN be stored
without sprouting.  I don't know if they can be frozen of if people just

worked like crazy to process as many as possible and dry the meal.  I've

read that they would hang them in a flowing stream in a cloth bag to
remove
the tannins, but maybe it was as much to slow metabolism as anything
else.
Donna