[NAFEX] Powdery Mildew in the mulch pile

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Mon Oct 19 10:28:38 EDT 2009

Re Powdery Mildew, Ginda asked, "Okay to just toss it in the mulch pile?"

    100% of my non-woody garden and orchard waste goes into my 3' x 30'
mulch pile.  I don't turn it and it does heat but I've mever measure it to
see how hot it gets.  All of my compost is used for potting soil.  The only
amount of it that ever gets back into the garden is the soil of tomato and
pepper transplants and the root balls of each are buried deep and covered.
    My pumpkins, squash and cucumbers get powdery mildew every year, usually
in early September when the sun's rays become more indirect.  I see powdery
mildew in other people's gardens too, even among those who put their garden
waste in the garbage to be hauled away.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472