[NAFEX] solarizing soil

Kieran &/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Sat Oct 17 23:19:04 EDT 2009

It takes a good long period of high heat to kill diseases, maybe less to
kill weeds.  We are talking summertime, not winter.  It might be easier to
just put down cardboard, like a lasagna garden.  We had a patch of johnson
grass that I fought for years, finally put down cardboard and feed sacks and
grew a couple hills of gourds there.  I only had to pull the johnson grass
from the small area where the vines were planted, and it got rid of nearly
all of it.  If he'll pile his leaves and grass clippings on the cardboard,
it'll be camouflaged pretty quick.