[NAFEX] solarizing soil

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Sat Oct 17 15:49:07 EDT 2009

You need to do this in a summer month.  Water the soil well, and cover with
clear plastic, about 3 mil.  Weigh or fasten down the edges. Wait a full
month.  The hardware clear plastic I've used will degrade and not stand a
second use.  Even if it looks good, I would expect it to fall apart before
it does the job.

It used to be thought that black plastic would do better, as it heats up.
The problem was that the plastic retained the heat, and heat penetrated the
soil less deeply than with clear plastic.

~ Stephen

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Ginda Fisher
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:33 AM
To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers
Subject: [NAFEX] solarizing soil

I have a friend who wants to clear weeds from an area but doesn't want
to use herbicide, and I think that pulling them may be impractical.  I
remember someone writing about using plastic and sunlight to do this.
What are the details?  How many hours of direct sunlight would they
need for this to work?

Thanks,
Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6