[NAFEX] Apple Identification

Clifford Cain - uk yahoo cc_syorks at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 13 18:35:23 EDT 2009

Hello
I am in the UK and as the apple season is under way, I take part in a
number of apple days where people bring their apples along for
identification.
My journey into this started when I took part in a course on apple
identification ran by the Northern Fruit Group.  We covered a variety of
approaches - comparison (with reference apples), use of books such as
the keys of Robert Hogg's 1884 "The Fruit Manual", to those of Edward
Bunyard , John Bultitude and Joan Morgan. Latterly we have been using a
numerical key based on the work of French Pomologist, Rene Marlaud.
I am curious as to the approaches taken elsewhere, hence my question to
those of you who get into identification- what methodology to you employ
and what are your reference books?
Regards
Clifford Cain
Bawtry, Doncaster, UK