[NAFEX] Golden Russet apple in Z5-6 NY

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 16:30:01 EDT 2009

Nice that people are getting excited about apples here.  That time of the
year.

I think that as grown here Golden Russet is a consistent winner in taste
tests-  it's one of the most popular antiques.  I have even read in the
trades about its special desirability as a sweet cider apple where contest
winners credit lots of GR in the mix for their exceptional product.
Wouldn't think of it as a hard cider apple though.

It is one of the richest apples I've ever eaten and although It's acidic
compared to many modern varieties- it is still extremely sweet when fully
ripe- it's actually syrupy.  However, it is called Golden Russet for a
reason- not Emerald Russet.  If it's green it can't be ripe.

What I don't like about it is that it attracts coddling moths and hornets
like a welcome sign.  It is not the easiest to grow under a low-spray
program.  It also takes a long time to come into bearing on my rootstock of
choice, 111.