[NAFEX] Golden Russet apple

Raby, Brian brian.raby at roche.com
Tue Oct 13 09:54:09 EDT 2009

Wanted to throw this out to the audience.  My friend and I are beginning our experiment with apples to test for our hard cider brew.  He had heard that Golden Russets were a good apple to use in the mix so last weekend he bought a bushel to press and test.

I've got one at my desk right now and as I'm chomping into it, I'm not very impressed with the flavor or the juiciness (concerned about how much liquid we will get from the pressing).  Kind of reminds me of Honeycrisp with the snap that you get when you bite into it.

Is this one of those apples that getting better as it sits?  I'd say the apple was picked a little premature because the exterior, except for the russeting, is more green than yellow.  But then, I don't know much about the apple.

Thanks,

Brian
Zone 5a/b
Sheridan, IN