[NAFEX] Ashmead's Kernel apples are deliciously ugly

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Mon Oct 12 23:22:57 EDT 2009

That is sad.  Ashmead's kernal is my family's favorite apple, and I
make a trek to the one semi-local orchard that sells it each fall.
It's a small ugly apple, but it does taste good.  It's an apple for
those of us who like an acidic apple.  Lots of acid, lots of sugar,
and a very nice apple flavor.  This year it's larger and milder due to
all the rain we had, but in a typical year it can be almost too intense.

Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6, where Ashmead's Kernal seems to grow with no
problems, although it's a little shy to bear.