[NAFEX] Picking apples

Kieran &/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Mon Oct 12 11:09:51 EDT 2009

I've got to say that I'm amazed an apple can partially freeze without
damage. Do you know why that is, Doug? Usually, freezing breaks the cell
walls in fruit, right? So that's why they get mushy when thawed? But
that doesn't happen with apples?

Bill,   It's all in the brix level.  That's why orange trees comfortably
take freezing temps down to about 25F, and why oranges are so much sweeter
after a cold snap.  The tree puts more sugar in the fruit, or changes
starches to sugars.  That's probably why hanging apples can lower the freeze
hardiness of the tree.   Stressed orange trees cannot handle low temps as
well.  Presumably one could test the brix of their leaves and see it coming.
Donna