[NAFEX] Recommendations for Zone 4 pears for perry & wine

Kieran &/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Mon Oct 12 10:48:52 EDT 2009

I think most of the perry pears come from England, so not much blight res
nor hardiness.   I don't think you'd have to worry about blight nearly as
much as we do here.  I think any of the crunchy pears would be fine for
perry, I note that Burford is mentioned as possibly good for perry.  I don't
know about hardiness though.  I'm very interested in the SD release 'Okolo"
which ought to be plenty hardy and should at least start out crunchy.  Get
yourself some good hardy rootstock, get it in the ground and graft it to
some hardy vars.  See corvallis's website, I think they have a hardy pear
list.  Donna

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Main/docs.htm?docid=11372