[NAFEX] Recommendations for Zone 4 pears for perry & wine

Claude Jolicoeur cjoli at gmc.ulaval.ca
Mon Oct 12 10:38:08 EDT 2009

mIEKAL wrote:
>Anyone have thoughts / experience with Zone 4 pears that are
>especially good for perry & wine?  Fireblight resistance seems to be
>very important around here.  As well as recommendations of the best
>places to get them.

I like the Golden Spice. It gives a very nice juice with a high sugar
content (SG around 1.060 or brix 15) and a balanced acidity (not quite as
much acidity as most apples, but much more than most pears - Titrable
acidity around 0.7%). I use it either in a cider blend or as a basis for
perry blend.
I don't know about it's Fire Blight susceptibility however as I am free of
this pest... Hardiness and vigor of tree are excellent. I find it somewhat
irregular in cropping however.

Claude, in zone 4, Quebec