[NAFEX] when apples should be harvested, based on Z6, NY

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Mon Oct 12 10:14:38 EDT 2009

> It's hard to know without experience, the requirement of any given
> variety, so the time to experiment is just as the trees start
> bearing.  Pick some earlier and some later and see what happens.

Thanks, Alan. This is my first year with fruit, so I was worried about
losing some of it. And frankly, I stopped spraying too soon - or just
didn't spray frequently enough - so my late fruit has been quite wormy
(mostly the Asian pears - codling moth larvae - but also some of the
apples). I know those won't keep long, and it can be hard to spot which
ones are infested.

I'll try to do better next year, and if we have another cool one, I'll
experiment with leaving some apples on the tree longer. Although, I DO
like green apples...  :-)

Thanks again,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Certainly from our standpoint, this gives us a sense of momentum - when
the United States has accolades tossed its way, rather than shoes. -