[NAFEX] Picking apples

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Sat Oct 10 14:44:02 EDT 2009

Apples, especially those with high soluble solids, can take a few
degrees of frost - but don't touch those with frozen surfaces until they
thaw, because they will bruise at the slightest touch. This was
explained to me by a commercial grower of Golden Delicious here. It
often happens that the October night frost will freeze the outer layers
of the apples, and then the pickers must wait until the apples thaw.

Reputedly apples left on trees after leaf fall will cause a decrease in
the tree's cold-hardiness if it is at all marginal. So my guess would be
that they take up some nutrients after leaf fall. I notice that for some
late British apples, experienced growers for home use in England
recommend leaving them on the trees well into November or even sometimes
later. One year with a mild fall I ate Starks from an old tree in Prince
Edward County (the peninsula on the north shore of Lake Ontario south of
Belleville) at the beginning of December. They were excellent. They had
taken a few frosts.

Generally for longest keeping one picks a little earlier than if one is
aiming for maximum quality, especially quality relatively early after
picking. This is said in the old books to make a considerable difference
with Wealthy for example. I noticed it also in a report on Keepsake in
Fruit Varieties Journal around 1979.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario