[NAFEX] pawpaws and wildlife

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Thu Oct 8 11:12:03 EDT 2009

In a message dated 10/7/2009 3:25:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
goatdoc at ctitech.com writes:

> This year the whole fallen pawpaws are gone.Do deer
> eat the whole pawpaws or do squirrels or racoons carry them off?

Hi Keith,

It is my observation that deer do not eat pawpaws. I've seen many pawpaws
with teeth marks that look like deer. They seem to bite into them but reject
them as soon as they taste the skin. They don't eat the leaves, branches or
new growth either.

What is carrying them off? I don't know, but feel sure it isn't deer.

Jerry