[NAFEX] Killing grapevines

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Tue Oct 6 14:52:34 EDT 2009

> You probably overcropped the Alwood. That would make it ripen late,
> and have low acid and low sugar. Overcropping is very easy to do with
> a young vine, especially with a less vigorous variety like Alwood.
> Thin the fruit next season and it will ripen earlier and taste a lot
> better.

Thanks, Lon. I'll give it another year, then. My biggest problem with it
was ripening with the Concords, since I'm so swamped with grapes at that
time. So if I can get it to ripen earlier that might really help. And it
might taste better without the direct comparison with the Concords,
too.  :-)

I'm still going to poison the Caco, though. I've had it for several
years, and it just goes to waste. It seems to ripen slightly later than
the Concords, but I'm eating Concord grapes for a good month (they keep
pretty well in the refrigerator). And the Caco have always been a bit
sour, to my taste.

Besides, if I get rid of the Caco, I've got room for something else.
Heh, heh. I'm thinking about another early grape, since I don't have as
much fruit early in the season. But then, I don't know if I really need
another variety. Actually, I'm quite sure that I don't. But I just like
to try different kinds.

Thanks again,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things: One is that God loves you
and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the most