[NAFEX] Engraved Watermelons Opened (and eaten by Straka)

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Mon Oct 5 16:37:38 EDT 2009

You're not the only one to find such a melon:

http://tinyurl.com/watermeloncropcircles

and another interesting carving:

http://tinyurl.com/watermelonmouth

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Zeugitai
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2009 11:16 AM
To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Engraved Watermelons Opened (and eaten by Straka)

>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow at frontiernet.net>
To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 23:23:14 -0500
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Engraved watermelons

Mark,  thanks for the amazing photo!   Looks like a disease to me too.  Do
they begin to rot in concentric circles too?  Donna

The affected melons have been those the vines of which died away unbeknownst
to me under the grasshopper-infested grasses that came up around the vines,
and languished there some weeks after they should have been taken.  I
strongly suspect the artistic sensibilities of polyphagous orthopterans.
The melons are all firm--there is no corresponding interior rot--and I
intend to eat them all.  So far, they have been normal and sweet.  The
markings appear quite superficial--they are palpable tracks from which the
outermost layer of pigmented skin has been mechanically removed.
--
Mark Straka
Sac City, IA