[NAFEX] Gooseberries for TN?

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Mon Oct 5 10:50:21 EDT 2009

> Bill, the sprawling growth of Hinnomaki Yellow that you have observed is typical for that cultivar.  Many commercial sources describe it as having a rather prostrate growth habit and being rather difficult to harvest for that reason.  In fact, at least one nursery sells it grafted to a Ribes trunk.

That might be interesting to try. There certainly doesn't seem to be any
way to get it to grow higher just through pruning.

But in my case, I can't really say that it's harder to pick than any
other gooseberry. But then, I've got them planted in a limited space.
The others grow so much that there's very little room for me (and what
room there is is thorny!). At least H. Yellow stays small enough that I
can maneuver around it (if not easily).  :-)

Thanks for the info, Sam. If I plant another, I'll look for something
like that.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Channeling is just bad ventriloquism. You use another voice, but people
can see your lips moving. - Penn Jillette