[NAFEX] Gooseberries for TN?

John S swim_at_svc at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 5 01:58:50 EDT 2009

My gooseberries ripen in July.  For table (raw), consider Hinnomaki Red or Poorman, both excellent quality if allowed to ripen.  I find that the red fruited ones have superior taste to the greens and whites.  Birds, especially robins around here, and Jap beetles will destroy your crop, if precautions are not taken.  This year I screened my gooseberries and blueberries with PVC hoops, clips, and fiberglass screen.  I enjoyed the best berries yet and did not have to fight the pests.  Even though we had a cloudy summer, fruit quality was excellent and prolific berries produced, despite the reduced light from the clouds and screen.

John