[NAFEX] shady ground cover

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Mon Nov 30 23:45:23 EST 2009

On Nov 30, 2009, at 10:57 PM, Jerrydana5 at aol.com wrote:

> I have a spot quite heavily shaded, on the edge of a woods by a
> path, I'd like to plant with a bush or ground cover.  Any
> suggestions?  A bush would be better.  Anything that blooms would be
> ideal.   Thanks.  Jerry in southern Indiana
> _________

Around here, the standard bushes to plant in shade are rhododendron
and mountain laurel.  You can find cultivars that will mature to be
small, medium, or large bushes, and they have attractive flowers in
the spring.  But our soil may be more acidic than yours.  They like
low pH, like holly and blueberry.  I think that both rhodies and mt.
laurel are poisonous, however.  (So not great fruit sources.)

Ginda