[NAFEX] Gages that are real greengages?

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Mon Nov 30 16:52:55 EST 2009

Prune D'Agen is probably the same as French prune, though there are a
number of sports and selected strains.
I haven't had enough mirabelles to judge them.
If you want something that stands up to processing, try the bullaces
(P. insititia).  I have a white bullace supposed to be a favorite for
preserves in England, and though I've never made any out of mine, I can
see why.  The acids, astringency and BIG flavor would hold up to
processing well.  The small plums are prolific and hang on in edible
condition nearly to the end of October.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
Grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short,
low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower :